7.14.2009

Boat Races '09

The Suncoast Offshore Boat Races are another one of the highlights of the summer here in Sarasota. This year it was REALLY EXHAUSTING because they just happened to fall the day after the long 4th of July... Typically there's a boat parade a few days before as well, but we didn't make it this year (it's a good time though!)

The track runs the entire length of Lido Key - the beach itself gets packed with people for the races - and the gulf is boats as far as you can see.

It's also like a gazillion (seriously, at least) degrees outside, so I spent a lot of time doing this:

Our 'captain' needed to cool off too - so I took a lifejacket and tied myself to the boat. A little... teeny bit... afraid of sharks nipping at my toes, but really - why would I be more appetizing than the hundreds of other people in the water around me?

And mostly, we just spent a lot of time hanging out, watching the races. We still have no idea who won - on the news later they said there were like 6 groups you could win in. I know the "main" winner was Miss Geico. I think they've won every year, or it sure seems like it.

This poor boat musta broken something - and it was the only one keeping up with Geico! It was doing a sad lap behind us back to the launches, very slowly...

After the races, we're out a ways in the gulf of mexico, in nothing but calm, open water - with a fully inflated tube. We moved a bit aways from the other boats and Joe proceeded to try and kill off some of his friends.

First up was Drew:


Chase:



Tom:

I didn't participate in the tubing - I'm quite positive I would have died very dead.

Because of the unpredictability of the boats on the water - there are police depts from all over the suncoast out there. On our way back in this poor guy was pulled over by THREE boats! Who knows what they did, maybe smuggling? Ha!

No comments: