We had quite the shitty Saturday - literally!
HAHAHAHAHAHA
Just to prove it's not all sunshine and roses around here,
I'm gonna go ahead and blog about the crappy day we had too - HA!
Ok, I'll stop now.
Really though, we were sitting around enjoying our Saturday, relishing the fact that we had a day to clean the house, do some laundry - and generally just relax.
That all ended when I stepped in about 2 inches of water in our bathroom/bedroom. Our washer water had come back up through our shower drain - and we hadn't noticed for who knows how long. After a lot of carpet ripping, cursing, and phone calls - we learned that apparently in newer houses there is a filter that must be cleaned every 6 mos in a septic tank, and if it's not -
bad news.
Fortunately, they could come out first thing Sunday to fix it all.
UNfortunately, Joe had to fly to NY for work (and family) on Sunday, and I needed to be in Orlando to celebrate the birthday of my favorite 9-yr old. So Monday morning it was! What a horrendous job it must be to come out to pump septic tanks...
And since I know you want to see what our septic disaster looks like!
This stupid blue filter was the cause of all our problems.

I'll spare you the picture of the full tank, but here's an empty one!

and a sealed one!

And the carpet, oh god I hope we don't have to replace the carpet. We got all the soaked padding out, and the carpet is pretty much dry and non-smelly.
Hopefully a couple good shampooings and and new padding and we're set **fingers crossed**


To add to the fun (!!) - our living room now looks like this (well, it does now, after some organizing - Saturday we just kind of dumped it all out there)

There went our Superbowl party...
UGH.
As inconvenient as this was, I can't help but feel thankful that it wasn't worse ya'know? I'm watching the news tonight snd see all the images and reports of how much damage was done by the earthquake in Haiti, and how those poor people lost absolutely everything, not just some wet carpet - and it kind of knocks this into perspective.
We are SO, SO blessed - the house is still pretty much intact, it was mostly just water, we were able to shower at Tom's, we were able to get someone out asap, we are healthy and unharmed, and we have an entire extra bedroom (two really) to live out of while we get this all sorted and fixed. A few years (or months) from now, this will be a minor nuisance, a laughable bump in the road - not life-altering or devastating. If these are the problems we deal with, I think we'll be just fine :)
HAHAHAHAHAHA
Just to prove it's not all sunshine and roses around here,
I'm gonna go ahead and blog about the crappy day we had too - HA!
Ok, I'll stop now.
Really though, we were sitting around enjoying our Saturday, relishing the fact that we had a day to clean the house, do some laundry - and generally just relax.
That all ended when I stepped in about 2 inches of water in our bathroom/bedroom. Our washer water had come back up through our shower drain - and we hadn't noticed for who knows how long. After a lot of carpet ripping, cursing, and phone calls - we learned that apparently in newer houses there is a filter that must be cleaned every 6 mos in a septic tank, and if it's not -
bad news.
Fortunately, they could come out first thing Sunday to fix it all.
UNfortunately, Joe had to fly to NY for work (and family) on Sunday, and I needed to be in Orlando to celebrate the birthday of my favorite 9-yr old. So Monday morning it was! What a horrendous job it must be to come out to pump septic tanks...
And since I know you want to see what our septic disaster looks like!
This stupid blue filter was the cause of all our problems.

I'll spare you the picture of the full tank, but here's an empty one!

and a sealed one!
And the carpet, oh god I hope we don't have to replace the carpet. We got all the soaked padding out, and the carpet is pretty much dry and non-smelly.
Hopefully a couple good shampooings and and new padding and we're set **fingers crossed**
To add to the fun (!!) - our living room now looks like this (well, it does now, after some organizing - Saturday we just kind of dumped it all out there)
There went our Superbowl party...
UGH.
As inconvenient as this was, I can't help but feel thankful that it wasn't worse ya'know? I'm watching the news tonight snd see all the images and reports of how much damage was done by the earthquake in Haiti, and how those poor people lost absolutely everything, not just some wet carpet - and it kind of knocks this into perspective.
We are SO, SO blessed - the house is still pretty much intact, it was mostly just water, we were able to shower at Tom's, we were able to get someone out asap, we are healthy and unharmed, and we have an entire extra bedroom (two really) to live out of while we get this all sorted and fixed. A few years (or months) from now, this will be a minor nuisance, a laughable bump in the road - not life-altering or devastating. If these are the problems we deal with, I think we'll be just fine :)
No comments:
Post a Comment