3.06.2010

Dead Winter

Like much of the rest of the country, we've had cruddy weather this winter. In fact, it was the coldest winter on record since like the 1800's or something. Highest number of cold days too - it's STILL cold at night, in MARCH! That's unheard of, ludicrous, even! And not to be a big baby, but we are not prepared for this weather - I'm rapidly running out of sweaters!

Everyone's landscaping died. DEAD.
Our front yard looks like this:


I won't even show you the backyard (well, ok, I didn't take a picture) but just imagine an expanse of dead grass. That's about it - I'm sure you can google 'dead grass' and it's a pretty accurate depiction.

And once again, our poor, brand-new, palm tree looks like this:


Awwww, man...

But! But! Look at this!


There's some green in there! It may be tiny but it gives me hope! Joe thinks it's dead, but I want to give it a chance!!

Anyhow, Saturday we had a nice day, finally - so we, along with most of the rest of Sarasota, headed over to the garden center at Home Depot. We picked up a few crotons and lava rocks and got to work.


Even though it's a very small improvement, and no one but us really sees it, since it's behind the wall and gate, it made us feel like maybe we can bring our yard back to life a bit! No more death and winter destruction!



I developed some weird allergy to those lava rocks though, my forearms got all red and swollen with little white dots on them! Looks like Joe is going to have to handle all the yardwork. Bummer.

Ha!

No comments: